Board index » Programming » Open Source Projects

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Server and its Cost Estimation - Help
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:16 am 
Novice User
Novice User

Languages: Java(Intermediate), C++, html, Action Script
Text editor: notepad++
Hi, I am a student of form India. Me and some of my friends, we are working on project. In that we would have a website with about 10,000 users having their own accounts and may be around 300 to 400 using it simultaneously(online). Our website will also have video streaming and downloads and also a chat app.

we have already started coding the site (just the back end coding) in python. but we are now stuck up at our budget planning, being unable to estimate the cost of the servers that we would need. please help.

1) can anyone give an estimate how much such a server would cost ? and what would be its running costs ?

2) And although we started coding in python, we have done very little work. so we still have a chance of switching to php. can any one please suggest which one (php or python) is optimum for such a website, from loading speed and handling point of view ?

any help would be really appreciated, please.

Post subject: Re: Server and its Cost Estimation - Help
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:52 am 
Post Loser

Languages: Java, C++, Python
Text editor: emacs, sublime text
I don't know about server costs, but I think python is the way to go. Php is a messy language, it is an easy language, but it has many stupid things about it. It is in the end all up to you, if you're a bad or good coder. If you have started with python, I suggest sticking to python.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:19 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Languages: .....
Text editor: notepad++, netbeans
@cyanboy
why php is a messy language? what are the stupid things about it?

and in your opinion which is easier python or php?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:22 am 
Novice User
Novice User

Languages: Java(Intermediate), C++, html, Action Script
Thank you very much for the suggestion. can anyone also help me with the server thing :?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:41 pm 
Chuck Norris Status
Chuck Norris Status

Languages: QBX, c++, c, Java, JavaScript, GML, lolcode, pascal, HTML, CSS, PHP, C#, VB, ILASM, Intel Assembly
Well, I've never run a website so big... but here is an educated guess:
$180 per year for unlimited bandwidth/disk space (the cheapest reliable web host I know) and another $180 for a .com domain name for a year.

$360 for a whole year.

Or 19803 rupees per year.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:58 am 
Novice User
Novice User

Languages: asp.net,c,c++
Text editor: noone
yes that's right server cost is nearly to that.You can contact a company which provide server to you.They tell the cost and that was your wish to take from them or not.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:06 am 
Pro Member
Pro Member

Languages: Groovy and Grails evangelist
Text editor: INTELLIJ IDEA FTW!
1) can anyone give an estimate how much such a server would cost ? and what would be its running costs ?

Probably not much. I am paying for VPS and am running almost 5 websites with 512 mb memory, 5 gig disk all in the cloud. If I need more, I can just upgrade it and it goes live instantly. For 10k users you might need a bit more, so I am guessing maybe 50 dollars each month?

2) And although we started coding in python, we have done very little work. so we still have a chance of switching to php. can any one please suggest which one (php or python) is optimum for such a website, from loading speed and handling point of view ?

You may change whenever you want, but then you probably would need to rewrite the current codebase. I would say that for such a small website it really doesn't matter what you choose. Both languages will run perfectly with that small userbase. It all depends on how much video-streaming you ought to do and how much data the user will be using each minute. You should just count on that to see what you are needing.

I've built an API for a site that gets approx. 500k unique visitors each day with php and MongoDB. I used simple cache to php and it worked flawlessly. Although it was a very expensive server they had with 24 cores and A LOT of memory. But I'll have to say that you should try out Groovy and Grails. Very good language and framework that fits excellent for your kind of task. In my opinion Grails is the best web framework so far.

Groovy runs on the JVM so it has great speed too, much better than php or python. Using a compiled language like Groovy will ofcouse lower you processor usage and therefore make it cheaper in the long run.

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 am 
Mega-Power User
Mega-Power User

Languages: java, flash, c++, css, php, html, simplej
Text editor: notepad++,netbeans
I own a server that handles at least 50 companies and others as Internet provider. with over 400 active users each day.

If you want to buy a server like the one I own here are approximate cost.
An excellent router (the one that your Internet provider give u will burn with less than 50 users)-- $995
powerful computer with at least 10Gb of Ram, 1Tb memory -- $1,000
A lot of bandwidth(100mb download/upload) -- $3,000
a domain name -- $180
other things as a rack, cooler, etc.

I think thats all you really need like $5,000+ for first time then like $3,050 each month to pay the energy bills, and the Internet cost. Is not so much after all as the users tend to pay the server cost like $10 for each user, with over 400 users thats $4,000+ each month

you may like to start small. just because that´s a powerful server and you will never use that power or have that amount of users in the first years. maybe make your own computer a server, just by adding some extra Ram and CPU, and get a little more bandwidth then it will cost $200 each month

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Programming » Open Source Projects